A shooting on the island for the Don Papa-based Christmas cocktails.
Twists on some great winter classics: The Don’s Midwinter Dream, Rumpapapumpum, Negrense Tropics and Mulling over Sugarlandia.
The words of the Filipino poet Anca Bautista, to describe the strange snow phenomenon, on the tropical island of Negros in the Philippines, known locally as “Sugarlandia”. He recounts the scenes he witnessed in his poem “It Happened Only Once”.
It only happened once. That’s all we know.
The tropical lands, in a curious pinwheel, have inexplicably seen: snow.
He has covered the trees redder than fire. It cooled the grass.
He covered the large-feathered birds with ice and turned the streams into glass.
And those who have seen it all are amazed
to see lush green fields covered with the softest and whitest snow.
The purest toasts were offered, warming delight
to keep the wonder of that night in the heart
A series of 13 Yuval Hen photographs of this landscape will be unveiled on Don Papa’s Facebook and Instagram channels in early December.
Don Papa is the Philippines’ first small batch premium rum, and is achieving global success that has crossed Philippine national borders.
Distilled and aged for seven years in American oak barrels on the western Negros Island, locally known as Sugarlandia, it is distilled from very pure sugar cane, of excellent quality which is then at the base
of the rich and deep ending of Rum Don Papa, an ending that brings back notes of vanilla, honey and candied fruit.
Now here are the 4 cocktails that Don Papa presents for Christmas:
Un twist su un classico, re immaginato da The Don. La noce moscata cade come la neve sulla superficie spumosa del drink. Curiosamente dolce, inaspettatamente magico. Avrà protagonista nella campagna social Walter Gosso, Advocacy Manager Rinaldi 1957 e Brand Ambassador Don Papa.
- Pour 45 ml of Don Papa 7 years old, 5 ml of Overproof Rum, 20 ml of sugar cane syrup, 15 ml of
cream, 135 ml of hazelnut cream and freeze.
- Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving.
- Shake to “wake up” the drink, pour into a cup with the zabaglione on the surface.
- Decorate with grated nutmeg and a colored paper straw.
2- Mulling over Sugarlandia
Il cuore pulsante di Sugarlandia in inverno. Speziato, leggermente acido e meravigliosamente rosso. Riscaldato dagli aromi caldi della cannella. Avrà protagonista nella campagna social Ilaria Bello, Brand Ambassador Rinaldi 1957.
- Pour 30 ml of 7 year old Don Papa, 20 ml of lemon juice, 15 ml of cane syrup into a shaker
sugar, 20 ml of mulled wine and 20 ml of fresh egg white, then shake without ice.
- Add the ice and shake vigorously.
- Strain into a highball glass.
- Heat the cinnamon powder by dropping it on the drink, along with a sprig of rosemary.
3- Negrense Tropics
Il Daiquiri invernale con Don Papa. Tropicale, fresco e festoso. Qui, dove le orchidee fioriscono. Avrà protagonista nella campagna social Walter Gosso, Advocacy Manager Rinaldi 1957 e Brand Ambassador Don Papa.
- Pour 50 ml of 7 year old Don Papa, 25 ml of lime juice, 20 ml of spiced sugar syrup into a shaker.
- Add the ice and shake vigorously.
- Strain into an iced cup, then garnish with a Christmas sugar straw and an orchid flower.
4- The Don’s Midwinter Dream
Un Old Fashioned dai toni caldi e deliziosi. Adatto a una languida notte passata davanti a un caminetto acceso. Non dimenticate le ciliegine. Avrà protagonista nella campagna social Marco Riccetti, Brand Ambassador Rinaldi 1957.
- In a mixing glass, pour 50 ml of Rum Don Papa 7 years, 20 ml of Grenadine, 1 dash of ginger bitter and
- Strain into a chilled glass with a single large ice cube.
- Heat 5-10 ml of Rum Overproof, set it on fire, and gently pour it over the cocktail.
- Decorate with a couple of Maraschino cherries.
Rum Don Papa è distribuito in Italia da Rinaldi 1957, aziende con sede a Bologna. Per informazioni: www.donpaparum.com - www.facebook.com/Rinaldi1957 - www.instagram.com/Rinaldi_1957